The first Lynx isnamed for any of a group of wildcats found throughout the Northern Hemisphere, most commonly known as the bobcat or wildcat; the second Lynx (SP‑2), is a former name is retained; and the third Lynx (AK‑100), was named for a northern constellation between Auriga and Ursa Major.
(SP‑2: t. 7; l. 45'; b. 10'6"; dr. 3'; s. 25 k.; cpl. 8; a. 1 1‑pdr.)
The second Lynx, a motorboat built in 1916 by George Lawley & Sons Corp., Neponset, Mass.; was purchased by the Navy from Nathaniel F. Ayers 21 April 1917; and commissioned 9 July 1917, Ens. A. T. Dayer in command.
Lynx served as a patrol boat in the 2d Naval District, Newport until sailing to Europe in August for aviation duty. Returning to New York 30 March 1919, she was condemned to be burned; struck from the Naval Register 24 August; and burned 4 September 1919.