A former name retained.
(SP‑734: t. 276 (gr.); l. 175'; b. 20'4"; dr. 7'9"; s. 15 k.; cpl. 69; a. 13", 1 6‑pdr., 2 mg.)
Lyndonia (SP‑734) was built by Gas Engine & Power Co. and Charles L. Seabury Co., Morris Heights, N.Y., in 1907; purchased by the Navy from her owner, Cyrus H. K. Curtis, 5 September 1917; and commissioned at Philadelphia, Pa., 4 December 1917, Lt. Comdr. John J. McCracken in command.
Lyndonia departed for Bermuda 22 December; however, engineering problems diverted her to Norfolk where she arrived the 25th. She remained there for the next 4 months and served as a dispatch and mail boat in Chesapeake Bay. Renamed Vega 20 February 1918, she steamed to Philadelphia 22 to 23 April and began duty with patrol boats of the 4th Naval District.
During the next 6 months Vega patrolled the lower reaches of Delaware Bay and waters off Cape May, N.J. She escorted submarines 0‑6 and 0‑9 to New York y, to 7 October, returned to Cape May the 10th, and between 13 and 14 October escorted 0‑3, 0‑4, and 0‑7 to Brooklyn Navy Yard.
Assigned to the 5th Naval District 28 October, Vega arrived Annapolis, Md., the 31st. Until 5 December she trained midshipmen from the Naval Academy, thence she steamed via Norfolk and Key West to Pensacola, Fla., for duty with the 8th Naval District. Vega patrolled waters of the Gulf Coast from 22 December to 21 March 1919. Between 22 March and 4 April she returned to Philadelphia where she resumed duty in the 4th Naval District. Vega decommissioned at Philadelphia 13 September 1919 and was sold 20 December 1921.