Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lupin

 

A misspelling of lupine, a European plant with recemes of white flowers.

 

(ScTug: t. 68; l. 69'; b. 16'; dph. 6'6")

 

C. Vanderbilt, a screw tug built at Philadelphia in 1861, was purchased by the Navy at New York 19 November 1863 and renamed Lupin. Although no record of any naval service by the tug has been found, she remained in custody of the Navy until sold at public auction to F. S. Palmerston 25 October 1865. The tug was redocumented as C. Vanderbilt 23 April 1866 and renamed Lewis S. Wandell 16 July 1883. She was sold to a foreign purchaser the following year.