A former name retained.
(Str: t. 2,540; l. 354'; b. 49'; dr. 23'; s. 9 k.; cpl. 66; a. 16", 1 3")
Luella, ex‑War Whale, a refrigerator ship, was launched 10 November 1917 by Baltimore Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Baltimore, Md.; acquired by the Navy 16 September 1918 at New York; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. William C. Morris in command.
Assigned to NOTS, Luella departed New York 1 October to join a convoy for Brest, France. Arriving there 25 November via Sydney, Nova Scotia, she unloaded her cargo of frozen beef and general supplies. Luella made another voyage from New York to France, returning Philadelphia 28 August 1919 with 2,492 tons of Army ordnance materiel. The refrigerator ship decommissioned 26 September 1919 and was returned to USSB the same day.