The second and third Ludlows were named for Augustus C. Ludlow, born Newburgh, N.Y., 1 January 1792. He was appointed midshipment 2 April 1804 and commissioned Lieutenant 3 June 1810. Second in command to Capt. James Lawrence in Chesapeake, he was, like his captain, mortally wounded in their ship’s engagement with HMS Shannon 1 June 1813, and died at Halifax, Nova Scotia, 13 June.
(DD‑112: dp. 1,060; l. 314'5"; b. 31'9"; dr. 9'21'; s. 35 k.; cpl. 123; a. 3 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Wickes)
The second Ludlow (DD‑112) was laid down 7 January 1918 at Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif.; launched 9 June 1918; sponsored by Miss Elizabeth Ludlow Chrystie, a descendant of Lieutenant Ludlow; and commissioned 23 December 1918, Comdr. M. K. Metcalf in command.
Following west coast shakedown, Ludlow embarked on the continuous training program which Is a hallmark of the U.S. Navy. On 17 July 1920 she was redesignated DM-10. A change of home ports followed 19 January 1921 when she arrived Pearl Harbor for 8 years with Mine Squadron 2, Fleet Base Force.
Ludlow joined in gunnery practice, mining operations, antisubmarine training, and fleet battle problems in the Hawaiian Islands and off the west coast, and in 1929 trained Naval Reserves. Leaving Pearl Harbor 15 November 1929, she arrived San Diego the 26th, and there decommissioned 24 May 1930. Struck from the Navy list 18 November, she was scrapped and her metal sold 19 March 1931.