The second and third Ludlows were named for Augustus C. Ludlow, born Newburgh, N.Y., 1 January 1792. He was appointed midshipment 2 April 1804 and commissioned Lieutenant 3 June 1810. Second in command to Capt. James Lawrence in Chesapeake, he was, like his captain, mortally wounded in their ship’s engagement with HMS Shannon 1 June 1813, and died at Halifax, Nova Scotia, 13 June.
The first Ludlow, a one‑gun (12‑pdr.) row galley of about 40 tons was built on Lake Champlain in 1808. Master’s Mate John Freeborn in command, she participated In Macdonough’s victory over the British squadron 11 September 1814. She was sold at Whitehall, N.Y., in July 1815.