(AM‑259: dp. 625; l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 14.8 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3", 2 40mm., 6 20mm., 2 dcp., Idcp. (h.h.), 2 dct.; cl. Admirable)
The first Lucid (AM‑259) wits laid down by American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, Ohio, 20 February 1.943; launched 5 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph S. Mood; and commissioned 1 December 1943, Lt. Charles Bulfinch in command.
After shakedown out of Little Creek, Va., Lucid departed 3 March 1944 for the Caribbean, arriving Guantanamo 7 March. For the next 12 months, the minesweeper was assigned to escort duty between Trinidad, British West Indies, and Recife, Brazil. Protecting convoys from U‑boat attacks, she made eight such voyages prior to reporting for duty as a training ship at Miami 28 March 1945. From April to June, Lucid operated As a schoolship out of Miami and trained future naval officers in the art of seamanship. Following a brief overhaul at Norfolk, the minesweeper returned to Miami and decommissioned there 28 August 1945. She was transferred to the Chinese government the same day.