LST-1169 was laid down on 26 November 1952 at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., by the Christy Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 22 August 1953; sponsored by Mrs. John L. Clarkson; and commissioned on 14 September 1954, Lt. Comdr. F. S. Handler in command.
Following shakedown training, LST-1169 was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Whitfield County (LST-1169) (q.v.) after a county in Georgia. Whitfield County was assigned to the Pacific Fleet in 1956 and was later homeported in Yokosuka, Japan. Commencing in 1965, the tank landing ship operated extensively in support of operations in the Vietnam theater. On 15 March 1973, Whitfield County was decommissioned; and, on 17 March 1977, she was transferred to the Greek Navy where she serves as Kos (L-116).
LST-1169 received one Presidential Unit Citation, three Navy Unit Commendations, three Meritorious Unit Commendations, and 15 battle stars for Vietnam service as Whitfield County.