LST-1167 was laid down on 11 January 1952 at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., by the Christy Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 18 April 1953; sponsored by Mrs. Robert E. Wood; and commissioned on 10 March 1954, Lt. Comdr. Leamond F. Lacy in command.
Initially assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, LST-1167 operated off the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean and made one deployment to the Mediterranean prior to her transfer to the Pacific Fleet in 1958. On 1 July 1955, the tank landing ship was redesignated Westchester County (LST-1167) (q.v.) after a county in New York. In 1960, Westchester County was assigned the home port of Yokosuka, Japan, and spent the remaining years of her active service in the Far East. Commencing in 1965, she performed extensive service in the Vietnam theater of operations. Decommissioned on 30 August 1973 at Yokosuka, Westchester County was assigned to the Inactive Ship Facility, Bremerton, Wash., in November of that year. On 27 August 1974, she was transferred to the Turkish Navy where she served as Serdar (L-402).
LST-1167 received three Navy Unit Commendations, two Meritorious Unit Commendations, and 15 engagement stars for Vietnam service as Westchester County.