LST-1165 was laid down on 1 December 1952 at Pascagoula, Miss., by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 14 July 1953; sponsored by Mrs. Ralph K. James; and commissioned on 30 November 1953, Lt. Comdr. Robert R. Davis in command.
Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, LST-1165 was later transferred to the Pacific Fleet and homeported in Yokosuka, Japan. On 1 July 1955, the tank landing ship was redesignated Washoe County (LST-1165) (q.v.) after a county in Nevada. Commencing in 1965, Washoe County saw extensive service in the Vietnam theater providing combat and logistic support. Returning to the United States in 1970, she was decommissioned on 25 March 1971 and berthed at the Inactive Ship Facility, Bremerton, Wash. Washoe County was struck from the Navy list in November 1973.
LST-1165 earned one Presidential Unit Citation, one Navy Unit Commendation, one Meritorious Unit Commendation, and 11 battle stars for Vietnam service as Washoe County.