LST-1164 was laid down on 22 September 1952 at Pascagoula, Miss., by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 15 May 1953; sponsored by Mrs. John A. Purr; and commissioned on 26 October 1953, Lt. Comdr. Francis Kay in command.
Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, LST-1164 spent the next 18 years conducting a variety of operations off the east coast of the United States and in the Mediterranean and Caribbean. On 1 July 1955, the tank landing ship was redesignated Walworth County (LST-1164) (q.v.) after counties in South Dakota and Wisconsin. Decommissioned in April 1971, Walworth County was transferred to the Military Sea-lift Command (MSC) on 26 May 1972.