LST-1163 was laid down on 4 August 1952 at Pascagoula, Miss., by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 17 March 1953; sponsored by Mrs. C. Richard Schaeffner; and commissioned on 17 September 1953, Lt. Comdr. Robert H. Steinkellner in command.
Following completion of shakedown training, LST-1163 was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, for duty. For the next 17 years, the ship alternated operations off the east coast of the United States with deployments to the Mediterranean and the Caribbean. On 1 July 1955, the tank landing ship was re-designated Waldo County (LST-1163) (q.v.) after a county in Maine. Decommissioned in October 1970, Waldo County was struck from the Navy list in November 1973.