LST-1159 was laid down on 2 September 1952 at Bath, Maine, by the Bath Iron Works; launched on 2 July 1953; sponsored by Mrs. R. T. Cowdrey; and commissioned on 12 September 1953, Lt. Comdr. Stephen J. Nemeth in command.
Following shakedown, LST-1159 was assigned to Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, in 1954. The tank landing ship alternated between operations off the west coast of the United States and deployments to the Far East during the ensuing decade. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Tom Green County (LST-1159) (q-v.) after a county in Texas. Commencing in 1965, Tom Green County performed extensive service in the Vietnam theater. This continued until the end of 1971, when the ship returned to the United States. Decommissioned on 5 January 1972, Tom Green County was transferred to the Spanish Navy where she served as Co-tide del Vendito (L-13).
LST-1159 earned four awards of the Navy Unit Commendation, two awards of the Meritorious Unit Commendation, and 12 engagement stars for service in Vietnam as Tom Green County.