LST-1158 was laid down on 16 June 1952 at Bath, Maine, by the Bath Iron Works; launched on 11 April 1953; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph A. Callaghan; and commissioned on 20 June 1953, Lt. Comdr. Charles R. Patton in command.
Initially operating with the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, LST-1158 transferred to the Pacific Amphibious Force in 1954. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Tioga County (LST-1158) (q.v.) after counties in New York and Pennsylvania. For the next decade, the tank landing ship alternated deployments to the western Pacific with operations off the west coast and the Hawaiian Islands. Commencing in 1965, Tioga County performed extensive logistic support duty in the Vietnam theater. On 25 November 1970, she was decommissioned and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet at San Diego, Calif. She was assigned to the Military Sealift Command for service in 1972 and made available for final disposal in November 1973.
LST-1158 earned three battle stars for Vietnam service.