LST-1156 was laid down on 2 January 1952 at Bath, Maine, by the Bath Iron Works; launched on 9 August 1952; sponsored by Miss Anne L. McCrea; and commissioned on 21 November 1952, Lt. Comdr. Henry L. Porter in command.
LST-1156 spent her entire career alternating assignments with the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, along the east coast of the United States and operations with the 6th Fleet while periodically deployed to the Mediterranean. She was redesignated Terrebonne Parish (LST-1156) (q.v.) after a parish in Louisiana on 1 July 1955. The ship was decommissioned on 29 October 1971 and transferred to the Spanish Navy where she served as Velasco (L-11).