LST-1150 was laid down on 1 March 1945 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 30 May 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Marie S. Budd; and commissioned on 20 June 1945, Lt. J. F. Carpenter, USCGR, in command.
Following World War II, LST-1150 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She was decommissioned on 13 September 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. The ship was redesignated Suiter County (LST-1150) (q.v.) after a county in California on 1 July 1955. Recommissioned on 16 April 1966, she performed extensive service in the Vietnam theater from 1966 through 1970. Decommissioned for the final time on 1 December 1970, Sutter County remained with the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Orange, Tex., until she was struck from the Navy list on 15 September 1974.
LST-1150 earned one award of the Navy Unit Commendation, one award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation, and eight battle stars for the Vietnam War as Sutter County.