LST-1148 was laid down on 15 February 1945 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 23 May 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Helen M. Fay; and commissioned on 9 June 1945, Lt. Richard Goodhart, USCGR, in command.
Following World War II, LST-1148 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She was decommissioned on 11 May 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 October 1950, LST-1148 saw extensive service during the Korean War. She was redesignated Sumner County (LST-1148) (q.v.) after counties in Kansas and Tennessee on 1 July 1955. She continued to operate with the Pacific Fleet and supported operations in the Vietnam theater from 1965 to 1968. Sumner County was decommissioned once again on 9 October 1969 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Orange, Tex.
LST-1148 earned one battle star for the Korean War, and one award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation and 10 battle stars for the Vietnam War.