LST-1142 was laid down on 25 January 1945 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 23 April 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Emily S. Ekdahl; and commissioned on 12 May 1945.
Following World War II, LST-1142 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early February 1946. She was decommissioned on 15 November 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Strafford County (LST-1142) (q.v.) after a county in New Hampshire. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958. In 1963, Strafford County was sold to the Foss Launch & Tug Co., Seattle, Wash., converted to a barge, and operated under the name Foss 202.