LST-1141 was laid down on 22 January 1945 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 18 April 1945; sponsored by Miss Gwendolyn K. Bartels; and commissioned on 9 May 1945, Lt. E. M. Biggs, USNR, in command.
Following World War II, LST-1141 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1949. She was decommissioned on 24 August 1949 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 November 1950 due to the onset of the Korean War, LST-1141 performed extensive service during that conflict. She was redesignated Stone County (LST-1141) (q.v.) after counties in Arkansas, Mississippi, and Missouri on 1 July 1955. The tank landing ship continued her operations with the Pacific Fleet, including service in Vietnam, through 1969. Decommissioned on 12 March 1970, Stone County was sold to the Royal Thai Navy on 15 August 1973 where she served as Lanta (LST-4). She was struck from the Navy list that same date.
LST-1141 earned four battle stars for Korean War service and five battle stars for Vietnam War service.