LST-1138 was laid down on 6 January 1945 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 5 April 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Hattie R. Fox; and commissioned on 24 April 1945, Lt. D. C. Smith, USNR, in command.
Following World War II, LST-1138 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. After post-war operations with the Pacific Fleet, LST-1138 saw extensive service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Steuben County (LST-1138) (q.v.) after counties in Indiana and New York. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 February 1961 and sold to Zidell Explorations, Inc., Portland, Oreg., on 11 August 1961.
LST-1138 earned five battle stars for her Korean War service.
Steuben County (LST-1138) in 1959. Her antiaircraft battery, 20-millimeter guns and director-controlled 40-millimeter twin mounts, is representative of the defensive armament of LST's at the end of World War II.