Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-1130

 

LST-1130 was laid down on 5 December 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 27 February 1945; sponsored by Miss Bessie F. Jipson; and commissioned on 20 March 1945, Lt. W. E. Johnson in command.

 

Following World War II, LST-1130 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late November 1946. She was decommissioned and abandoned on 23 March 1948 following a grounding at Yap, Caroline Islands, which left the ship in a condition beyond economical repair. LST-1130 was struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1948.