LST-1129 was laid down on 29 November 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 22 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Elizabeth P. Leatzow; and commissioned on 6 March 1945, Lt. J. K. Marshall in command.
Following World War II, LST-1129 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-February 1946. She was decommissioned on 31 July 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Somervell County (LST-1129) (q.v.) after a county in Texas. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958.