Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-1123

 

LST-1123 was laid down on 1 November 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 29 January 1945; sponsored by Miss Betty Lou Bailey; and commissioned on 19 February 1945, Lt. (jg.) John H. Cleaque III, USNR, in command.

 

After World War II, LST-1123 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. Following occupation duty, she operated off the west coast of the United States until the outbreak of the Korean War. She performed extensive service during the war, including the amphibious invasion at Inchon. She was redesignated Sedgwick County (LST-1123) (q.v.) after counties in Colorado and Kansas on 1 July 1955 and was decommissioned on 9 September that same year. Recommissioned on 4 June 1966, Sedgwick County participated in logistic support activities in the Vietnam theater.

 

Decommissioned again on 6 December 1969, Sedgwick County was assigned once again to the Pacific Reserve Fleet at Mare Island, Calif. She was struck from the Navy list on 15 March 1975 and transferred to the Malaysian Navy on 7 October 1976 where she served as Rajah Jarom (A-1502).

 

LST-1123 earned six battle stars for the Korean War and seven battle stars and one award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation for the Vietnam War.