Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-1122

 

LST-1122 was laid down on 30 October 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 24 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Alice Schmidt; and commissioned on 14 February 1945, Lt. L. L. Hutchinson, USNR, in command.

 

Following World War II, LST-1122 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late October 1945. Following occupation duty, LST-1122 operated off the west coast of the United States until 1949. Decommissioned on 15 June 1949, she was assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 November 1950, she performed extensive service during the Korean War.

 

On 1 July 1955, LST-1122 was redesignated San Joaquin County (LST-1122) (q.v.) after a county in California. In the years that followed, the tank landing ship regularly deployed to the western and Central Pacific, operating in the Vietnam theater and the Trust Territories of the Pacific. Son, Joaquin County was decommissioned for a second time on 26 September 1969. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1972 and subsequently scrapped.

 

LST-1122 earned five battle stars for the Korean War and one battle star for the Vietnam War.