Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-1101

 

LST-1101 was laid down on 22 November 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 3 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. James J. Tolson; and commissioned on 26 January 1945, Lt. James M. Trotman, Jr., USNR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-1101 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 6 June 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 November 1950, LST-1101 performed extensive service during the Korean War. She was redesignated Saline County (LST-1101) (q.v.) after counties in five states of the United States. She continued to operate with the Pacific Fleet until she was again decommissioned on 9 March 1960. Struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1960, Saline County was later transferred to the German Navy where she was converted to a minelayer and served as Bottrop (N121) until September 1971. In December 1972, she was sold to Turkey where she served in the Turkish Navy as Bayraktar (A-581).

 

LST-1101 earned one battle star for World War II service and five battle stars for Korean War service.