LST-1096 was laid down on 27 November 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 10 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Elizabeth L. Middleton; and commissioned on 2 February 1945, Lt. Lester W. Sperberg in command.
During World War II, LST-1096 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She was decommissioned on 24 August 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 October 1950, LST-1096 saw extensive service during the Korean War. Following the Korean armistice in 1953, the tank landing craft continued to operate with the Pacific Fleet, alternating services along the west coast of the United States with deployments to the Far East. She was redesignated St. Clair County (LST-1096) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after counties in five states. During the period 1966 to 1969, St. Clair County performed logistic support duty off Vietnam. Decommissioned again on 26 September 1969, she was reassigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet at Bremerton, Wash.
LST-1096 earned one battle star for World War II, three for Korea, and three battle stars and 1 award of the Navy Unit Commendation for Vietnam service.