LST-1091 was laid down on 3 January 1945 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 3 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. R. W. Robinson; and commissioned on 6 April 1945, Lt. Milton S. Johnston, USNR, in command.
Following World War II, LST-1091 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. She was decommissioned on 5 July 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Sagadahoc County (LST-1091) (q.v.) after a county in Maine. The tank landing ship was transferred to the Republic of China Navy in October 1958 where she served as Chung Chih (LST-226). She was struck from the Navy list on 6 February 1959.