LST-1090 was laid down on 28 December 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 24 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. R. B. Hunter; and commissioned on 2 April 1945, Lt. E. J. Doering, USNR, in command.
Following World War II, LST-1090 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. She was decommissioned on 22 July 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 November 1950, LST-1090 performed extensive service during the Korean War and operated with the Pacific Fleet for the next decade. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Russell County (LST-1090) (q.v.) after counties in Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, and Virginia. She was decommissioned for the last time on 5 April 1960 and struck from the Navy list on 1 November that same year.
LST-1090 earned three battle stars for Korean War service.