LST-1089 was laid down on 20 December 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 17 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. R. C. Robinson; and commissioned on 28 March 1945, Lt. Marvin A. Cohen in command.
Following World War II, LST-1089 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She was decommissioned on 16 August 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 6 September 1950, LST-1089 saw extensive service in Korea and later with the Pacific Fleet in the Far East and the eastern Pacific. On 1 July 1955, she was re-designated Rice County (LST-1089) (q.v.) after counties in Kansas and Minnesota. The ship was decommissioned again on 9 March 1960 and transferred to the West German Navy in October 1960 where she served as Bochum (N-120). Rice County was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1960. She was later sold by the United States to the Turkish Navy in December 1972 where she served as Sanlaktar (A-580).
LST-1089 earned four battle stars for Korean War service.