LST-1088 was laid down on 16 December 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 11 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. A. J. Paddock; and commissioned on 27 March 1945, Lt. Sheldon Potter III in command.
Following World War II, LST-1088 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. She was decommissioned on 29 August 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Pulaski County (LST-1088) (q.v.) after seven counties in the United States. She was recommissioned on 21 May 1963 for service in the Atlantic Fleet. Pulaski County later served in Vietnam. In July 1967, the tank landing ship was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service for operation by a civilian crew.
LST-1088 earned two battle stars for Vietnam War service.