LST-1084 was laid down on 27 November 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 19 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. W. F. Shepherd; and commissioned on 19 February 1945, Lt. Lawrence E. Prehn in command.
Following World War II, LST-1084 performed occupation duty in the Far East until September 1945. She was decommissioned on 13 August 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 November 1950, she performed extensive service during the Korean War. The ship was redesignated Polk County (LST-1084) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after 12 counties in the United States. For the next 14 years, the tank landing ship operated with the Pacific Fleet, including deployments to the Far East and the Vietnam theater. She was decommissioned for the final time on 3 October 1969 and was struck from the Navy list on 15 September 1974.
LST-1084 earned three battle stars for the Korean War and four battle stars for Vietnam War service.