LSI-1079 was laid down on 30 March 1945 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 27 April 1945; and commissioned on 22 May 1945, Lt. William A. Putnam, Jr., USNR, in command.
LST-1079 was decommissioned in March 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned in October 1950, she operated with the Atlantic Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Payette County (LST-1079) (q.v.) after a county in Idaho. Decommissioned again on 1 November 1959 and struck from the Navy list that same date, she was sold to Zidell Explorations, Inc., Astoria, Oreg., on 18 May 1961.