LST-1071 was laid down on 13 February 1945 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 14 March 1945; and commissioned on 9 April 1945, Lt. W. C. Scott in command.
Following World War II, LST-1071 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She was decommissioned on 10 June 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 January 1951, she operated for the next five years with the Amphibious Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet. The ship was redesignated Ouachita County (LST-1071) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 for a county in Arizona. She was decommissioned again on 15 February 1956 and berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla., until she was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1959.