LST-1069 was laid down on 7 February 1945 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 7 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. James Whitfield; and commissioned on 31 March 1945, Lt. Lewis A. Rockwell in command.
Following World War II, LST-1069 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late March 1946. She was decommissioned on 6 August 1946 and assigned to the Naval Reserve Program. Recommissioned on 11 January 1952, she was converted to a mine warfare flagship and logistic support vessel. The ship was redesignated Orleans Parish (LST-1069) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after a parish in Louisiana. Decommissioned again on 20 May 1966, Orleans Parish was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service where she operated in the Far East. Orleans Parish was transferred to the Philippines on 13 September 1976.
Orleans Parish (LST-1069) at San Juan, Puerto Rico, early in 1957 as flagship and tender to Mine Squadron Pour Moored alongside are Yazoo (AN-92), Robin (MSC(O)-53), Redpoll (MSC(O)-57), Ruff (MSC(O)-54), with Ostrich (MSC(0)-29), Reedbird (MSC(0)-51), Siskin (MSC(O)-58), and Egret (MSC(O)-46) nested aft. In the foreground are six Canadian minesweepers which accompanied MinRon Pour to the Caribbean for exercises. Berthed astern of Orleans Parish is the former LST-650, completed in 1945 as the landing-craft repair ship Pandemus (ARL-18) and also assigned to the mine force to maintain its diesel-powered ships.