LST-1068 was laid down on 31 January 1945 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 3 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Alice R. Wilbur; and commissioned on 27 March 1945, Lt. Clinton E. Voyles in command.
Following World War II, LST-1068 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late November 1945. She was decommissioned on 9 August 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 8 September 1950, she performed extensive service during the Korean War. The ship was redesignated Orange County (LST-1068) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after counties in eight states of the United States. She was decommissioned again on 27 September 1957 and struck from the Navy list that same date. Orange County was subsequently sunk as a target vessel on 18 June 1958.
LST-1068 earned four battle stars for the Korean War.