Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-1061

 

LST-1061 was laid down on 26 December 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 3 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Ada Smith; and commissioned on 1 March 1945, Lt. G. A. Johnson in command.

 

Following World War II, LST-1061 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-September 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 1 March 1948, the ship was sold to the Texas Petroleum Co. for operation.