Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lancaster

 

A city in southeastern Pennsylvania.

 

III

 

(AK-193: dp. 2,307; l. 338'7"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3", 6 20mm.; cl. Alamosa; T. C1-M-AV1)

 

The third Lancaster (AK-193), ex-MC Hull 2124, was laid down 1 July 1944 by Walter Butler Shipbuilding Inc., Superior, Wis.; launched the same year; acquired by the Navy 21 September 1945; and commissioned the same day. The end of World War II reduced the need for cargo ships, and Lancastcr decommissioned 23 November 1945 and was returned to WSA the same day.