Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lamson

 

Roswell Hawkes Lamson was born in Iowa, and appointed to the Naval Academy 20 September 1858. After graduating in 1862, he saw action in the Civil War. Lamson commanded Mount Vernon in joint Army-Navy operations on the Wansemont River, and he played an important role in the capture of batteries at Hills Point. While in command of Gettysburg, he was in the forefront of the attack on Fort Fisher, and he gallantly piloted the powder boat Louisiana in under the fort. He resigned from the Navy in 1866. In 1895 Lamson was appointed lieutenant and placed on the retired list. Lieutenant Lamson died in Portland, Oreg., 14 August 1903.

 

II

 

(DD-328: dp. 1,190; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'3"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 95; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt. ; cl. Clemson)

 

The second Lamson (DD-328) was laid down 13 August 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, Calif.; launched 1 September 1920; sponsored by Miss Annette Rolph; and commissioned 19 April 1921, Lt. Comdr. F. L. Johnston in command.

 

After shakedown, Lamson was assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, arriving Charleston, S.C., 28 December 1921. From 1921 to 1925, the destroyer operated along the east coast and in the Caribbean, participating in fleet maneuvers, war games, and reserve training cruises. Although this period was free of major international crises, the American Navy made great technological advances to maintain its superiority on the seas.

 

Assigned to the U.S. Naval Forces in Europe, Lamson departed Boston 18 June 1925 for operations in European and Mediterranean waters. Returning to the United States 1 year later, Lamson rejoined the Scouting Fleet and resumed exercises and maneuvers along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean. The destroyer continued these operations until she decommissioned at Philadelphia 1 May 1930. Lamson was sold 17 January 1931 to Boston Iron & Metal Co., Baltimore, Md., and scrapped 18 October 1934.