Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Ypsilanti

 

A lake in Michigan.

 

(Str: t. 1.447: 1.261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 21'2"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 43; a. none)

 

Lake Ypsilanti, a cargo ship, was built in 1918 by Detroit Shipbuilding Co., Detroit, Mich.; taken over by the Navy 11 January 1919 at Cardiff, Wales; and commissioned the same day, Lt. George, Braithwaite, USNRF, in command.

 

Lake Ypsilanti carried coal between British and French ports under NOTS until 19 February; then she transported supplies between Britain and France for the Navy. Departing Cardiff 14 June, she returned to the United States, decommissioned 15 July at New York, and returned to the USSB the same day. Lake Ypsilanti was sold to Ford Motor Co. in 1926 and scrapped.