Towns in Florida and Texas are named Lake Worth and Lakeworth.
(Str: t. 1,259; l. 261'; b. 43'6”; dr. 17'9"; s. 10.4 k.; cpl. 64; a. 1 5", 1 3")
Lake Worth, a cargo ship, was launched 15 September 1917 as War Banner by Chicago Shipbuilding Co., Chicago, Ill., under USSB contract; delivered to USSB 16 December 1917; and acquired by the Navy and commissioned as Lake Worth at New York 26 February 1918, Lt. Comdr. Howe Monteith, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to NOTS, Lake Worth operated out of Norfolk, Va., between 2 March and 8 May, carrying coal to Boston and Bermuda. Loaded with general supplies and mines, she departed Norfolk 17 May for Europe. Steaming via Halifax, Nova Scotia, she arrived Oban, Scotland, 5 June. After sailing to Kyle and Clyde, Scotland, she departed Clyde for Norfolk 17 June and arrived 6 July. Between 29 July and 6 December she made two more cargo runs from Norfolk to Scottish ports.
Resuming collier service out of Norfolk, Lake Worth transported coal to Bermuda and the Azores on two runs between 12 January 1919 and 24 March; then she made two similar voyages to Portsmouth, N.H. Departing Norfolk 21 May, she sailed via Charleston, S.C., for the Caribbean and discharged cargo at ports in Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, and Virgin Islands. Departing St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, 10 July, she reached Norfolk 16 July, decommissioned 2 August, and was returned to USSB the same day.
In the mid-twenties she was sold to U. D. Hendrickson and operated out of Key West, Fla. She was subsequently named Phoenicier and Amberstone.