Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Wimico

 

A lake in Gulf County, Fla., 13 miles west-northwest of Apalachicola.

 

(Str: t. 1,242; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 17'10"; s. 10.5 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Wimico, a cargo ship, was launched 1 June 1918 under USSB contract by American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, Ohio; acquired by the Navy 6 August 1918; and commissioned the same day at Montreal, Lt. Comdr. Gudolf Wethe, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, she arrived Le Havre, France, 3 September and until 2 February 1919 operated out of Cardiff, Wales, transporting coal between British and French ports. Assigned to the U.S. Food Administration, she then carried food from French ports to Rotterdam and Danzig. Returning to New York from Bordeaux, France, early in August, she decommissioned 16 August and was returned to USSB the same day. She was sold in 1926 to E. L. Jahncke and operated out of New Orleans.