Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake View

 

Towns in Michigan, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, and Texas are called Lakeview. When the Maritime Commission used the word as a ship’s name, it split it to conform to other names in the “Lake” series. However, it was often written as one word.

 

(Str: t. 1,211; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 20'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 64; a. 1 5", 1 3")

 

Lake View, a mine cargo ship, was launched under USSB contract as War Victor 29 September 1917 by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., Manitowoc, Wis.; acquired by the Navy 9 January 1918; and commissioned as Lake View 23 February 1918 at New York, Lt. Comdr. Jesse Smith, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Lake View steamed to Norfolk 27 February, and from 4 March until 19 May she operated out of Norfolk, carrying coal and general cargo to Halifax, Nova Scotia; Bermuda; and St. Johns, Newfoundland. Loaded with mines and military supplies, she departed Norfolk for Europe 1 June; sailed via Halifax; and arrived Oban, Scotland, in convey 21 June. After steaming to Corpack and Clyde, Scotland, she departed Clyde 6 July for Norfolk, where she arrived 24 July. Between 14 August and 23 October she made another cargo run from Norfolk to Scottish ports.

 

Resuming collier service out of Norfolk, Lake View transported coal to Shelbourne, Nova Scotia; St. Johns, Newfoundland; and Key West, Fla. On 9 January 1919 she departed Norfolk with a cargo of coal for Brest, France, where she arrived 25 January. Returning to New York 16 February to 2 March via the Azores, she carried general cargo to Inverness, Scotland, 8 to 22 April.

 

Lake View operated out of Scottish and Welsh ports until 21 June when she departed Cardiff for New York, arriving 5 July. Steaming to Norfolk 15 to 16 July, she decommissioned 30 July and was returned to USSB the same day. She was sold to the Ford Motor Co. in 1927 and scrapped.