Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Tulare

 

A lake in Kings County of central California.

 

(Str: t. 1,196; l. 261' ; b. 43'6" ; dr. 17'9" ; s. 12 k. ; cpl. 56; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Tulare, a cargo ship, was launched under USSB contract 15 December 1917 by Superior Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis.; operated as an Army cargo transport until acquired by the Navy; and commissioned 10 October 1918 at Cardiff, Wales, Lt. Comdr. A. G. Herbertson, USNRF, in command.

 

Operating out of Cardiff, Lake Tulare was assigned to NOTS as a coal transport between British and French ports. Transferred to the U.S. Food Administration 1 March 1919, she carried food from British and French ports to Rotterdam and Danzig until 14 July, when she resumed military cargo runs. Returning to New York in late summer, Lake Tulare decommissioned 15 September and was returned to USSB the same day. She was sold in 1924 to Skibs. A/S Manitowoc and renamed Bestik.