Lake St. Regis
A system of two lakes in northern New York drained by the Saint Regis River.
(Str: t. 1,336; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 19'6"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3")
Lake St. Regis, a cargo ship, was launched under USSB contract 20 December 1917 by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ashtabula, Ohio; operated as an Army cargo transport until acquired by the Navy and commissioned 17 October 1918 at Cardiff, Wales, Lt. Comdr. E. A. Schaffer, USNRF, in command.
Operating out ofCardiff, Lake St. Regis was assigned to NOTS as a coal transport between British and French ports. Transferred to the U.S. Food Administration 13 February 1919, she carried food supplies from French ports to Rotterdam and Danzig until 31 May. Departing Cardiff 5 July, she arrived New York 20 July; decommissioned 26 July at Williamsburg, N.Y.; and was returned to USSB the same day. She was sold to the Ford Motor Co. in 1926 and scrapped.