Lake St. Clair
A lake between Michigan and the Canadian province of Ontario which connects with Lake Huron by the St. Clair River and with Lake Erie by the Detroit River.
(Str: t. 1,378; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 19'8"; s. 10.3 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3")
Lake St. Clair, a cargo ship, was launched under USSB contract 12 December 1917 by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ecorse, Mich.; operated as an Army cargo transport until acquired by the Navy and commissioned 31 October 1919 at Cardiff, Wales, Lt. Comdr. S. W. C. Freeman, USNRF, in command.
Operating out of Cardiff, Lake St. Clair was assigned to NOTS as a coal transport between British and French ports. Transferred to the U.S. Food Administration 19 February 1919, she carried food supplies from French ports to Rotterdam and Danzig until early August. Returning to the United States in late August, Lake St. Clair decommissioned 11 September 1919 at Philadelphia and was returned to USSB the same day. She was sold to the Ford Motor Co. in 1926 and scrapped.