Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Silver

 

Lakes in California, Delaware, and New York are called Silver Lake.

 

(Str: t. 1,367; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 19'6"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 52; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Silver, a cargo ship, was launched under USSB contract 4 July 1918 by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ecorse, Mich.; acquired by the Navy 15 August 1918; and commissioned the same day at Montreal, Lt. Comdr. C. A. Lindroth, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Lake Silver departed Montreal 20 August for Sydney, Nova Scotia, where she joined a convoy 5 September and arrived Brest, France, the 19th. As a coal transport, she operated out of Cardiff, Wales, between British and French ports.

 

Lake Silver departed Cardiff 27 June 1919 with 1,000 tons of Army cargo. Arriving New York 14 July, she decommissioned 21 July and was returned to USSB the same day. She was sold to the Ford Motor Co. in 1926 and scrapped.