Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-1044

 

LST-1044 was laid down on 25 November 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 3 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. J. D. Port; and commissioned on 2 March 1945, Lt. Frank P. Eldredge in command.

 

Following World War II, LST-1044 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 28 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 8 January 1948, the ship was sold to Pablo N. Ferrari & Co. for operation.