LST-1041 was laid down on 12 November 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 20 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. D. W. Raegler; and commissioned on 19 February 1945.
Following World War II, LST-1041 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-December 1945. She saw extensive service with the Atlantic Fleet for a decade. The ship was re-designated Montgomery County (LST-1041) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after counties in 18 states of the United States. She was decommissioned on 31 January 1956 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. The tank landing ship was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1960 and sold to West Germany in August that same year.