LST-1040 was laid down on 3 December 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 13 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Charles L. Hoffman; and commissioned on 13 February 1945, Lt. George E. Cooper, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-1040 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-July 1946. She was decommissioned on 23 September 1946 and sold to the Netherlands East Indies on 5 October that same year. On 23 April 1947, the ship was struck from the Navy list.
LST-1040 earned one battle star for World War II service.