LST-1039 was laid down on 26 November 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 6 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Jack H. Johnston; and commissioned on 9 February 1945, Lt. G. E. Paris in command.
During World War II, LST-1039 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 21 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 2 September 1947, the ship was sold to the Columbia River Packers Association, Inc., for operation.
LST-1039 earned one battle star for World War II service.